Che Guevara Bolivar Building – Revolution Square, Havana Cuba
Photo by J Rae Chip Productions
This building sits in Revolution Square (Plaza de la Revolución), in the Vedado district of Havana, Cuba. This is where many historical political rallies took place. It is also where Fidel Castro addressed more than a million of his fellow Cubans on different occasions, but especially on May 1 and July 26 annually.
Che Guevara Bolivar, whose face is a sculpture on this building, was well known for his phrase, “Hasta la victoria siempre.” He was an Argentine Marxist revolutionary and physician. He was a major figurehead of the Cuban Revolution from 1953 to 1959. Cubans see Che Guevara Bolivar as a national hero since he brought amenities such as medical care to the impoverished and underprivileged Cubans in need. He also started a nation-wide literacy campaign, bringing a much better education system to Cuba. He served as the national bank president and the leader of the Cuban military forces. He helped curb the Bay of Pigs invasion. He was instrumental in bringing Soviet missiles into Cuba, initiating the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. Che Guevara Bolivar believed that the third world was poverty-stricken because of unfairness imposed upon the planet by means of capitalism, imperialism, and neocolonialism. The only remedy, he believed, was a global revolution to “proletarian internationalism.”
Che Guevara Bolivar left Cuba in 1965 to assist in other revolutions. First, he helped in Congo-Kinshasa, which was an unsuccessful revolution. Then he aided in Bolivia. He was captured by Bolivian forces with the help of the CIA and executed. Despite his death, Che remains a symbol of hope and heroism throughout Cuba. His face and slogan appear on shirts and hats. Schools and art institutes are named after him. His name and slogan appear in art and graffiti throughout Cuba.